Centre for Public Policy PROVIDUS was established at the end of 2002 by the Soros Foundation - Latvia and several individuals and has since developed as the leading think-tank in Latvia.
PROVIDUS mission is to facilitate comprehensive policy change in areas important for Latvia’s development. PROVIDUS also provides expertise to other countries undergoing democratic transformation. PROVIDUS is both a source of expertise and an agent of change for a state that is safe, inclusive and well governed.
PROVIDUS activities include: publishing research and policy analyses, providing expertise to the government in the policy-making process, advocacy and monitoring, consultancy services and training as well as promoting public participation in the policy through innovative internet tools.
PROVIDUS provides institutional home for several webpages:
- www.politika.lv: largest on-line policy resource in Latvia
- www.gudrasgalvas.lv: webpage for direct communication with parliamentarians
- www.musuvalsts.lv: webpage-platform for discussions on important changes in country
- www.cietusajiem.lv: webpage for victim support
- www.dzivotlatvija.lv: webpage about rights and opportunities for newcomers
- www.socialauznemejdarbiba.lv: webpage about social entrepreneurship
PROVIDUS – legally, an association – is a non-governmental, non-partisan and not-for-profit organisation. In June 2006 PROVIDUS was awarded the status of a public benefit organisation by the Ministry of Finance.
PROVIDUS is managed by the Director Dace Akule and has 17 employees (full and part time).